Advice on finding private rented accommodation, agreements and rent

How do I find private rented accommodation?

The best places to look for privately rented accommodation are the internet, local newspapers or in local estate/letting agents windows. Some landlords advertise their accommodation on notice boards in local supermarkets and shops. Bed-sits and house shares are often advertised in this way.

Will I have to pay rent in advance and a damage deposit?

Most landlords/letting agents will ask you for one month's rent in advance and a damage deposit before they will let a property. A damage deposit is usually equal to one month's rent and from April 2007 must be placed in a Government-authorised tenancy deposit protection scheme in case there is any damage to the property whilst you are a tenant.

Please contact the  Housing Options Team in Rushden Tel: 0345 600 5050 to see if you qualify.