Cookie Consent by Shared Ownership and Help to Buy | Shared Ownership and Help to Buy | North Northamptonshire Council - East Northamptonshire Area

Go to the new North Northamptonshire Council website

Shared Ownership and Help to Buy

Help to Buy is a range of home ownership products developed to assist people who can not afford to buy a property on the open market.

Local Help to Buy Agents are appointed by the government to promote all of the schemes. Help to Buy Midlands is the appointed agency for West and East Midlands which includes the District of East Northamptonshire. Visit the website to find out what properties might be available through Help to Buy and to establish if you are eligible to apply to buy a home.

There are four Help to Buy options.

Shared Ownership

If you can’t quite afford the mortgage on 100% of a home, Help to Buy: Shared Ownership offers you the chance to buy a share of your home (between 25% and 75% of the home’s value) and pay rent on the remaining share. Later on, you could buy bigger shares when you can afford to.

You could buy a home through Help to Buy: Shared Ownership in England if:

  • your household earns £80,000 a year or less outside London, or your household earns £90,000 a year or less in London
  • you are a first-time buyer, you used to own a home but can’t afford to buy one now or are an existing shared owner looking to move.

With Help to Buy: Shared Ownership you can buy a newly built home or an existing one through resale programmes from housing associations. You’ll need to take out a mortgage to pay for your share of the home’s purchase price, or fund this through your savings. Shared Ownership properties are always leasehold.

Only military personnel will be given priority over other groups through government funded shared ownership schemes. However, councils with their own shared ownership home-building programmes may have some priority groups, based on local housing needs.

People with disabilities

Home Ownership for People with Long-Term Disabilities (HOLD) can help you buy any home that’s for sale on a Shared Ownership basis if you have a long-term disability.

You can only apply for HOLD if the properties available through the other home ownership schemes don’t meet your needs, eg you need a ground-floor property.

Older people

You can get help from another home ownership scheme called Older People’s Shared Ownership if you’re aged 55 or over.

It works in the same way as the general Shared Ownership scheme, but you can only buy up to 75% of your home. Once you own 75% you won’t have to pay rent on the remaining share.

Applying for a Help to Buy: Shared Ownership scheme

To buy a home through a Help to Buy: Shared Ownership scheme contact the Help to Buy agent in the area you want to live.

The website also contains information about the other three options which are:

Equity Loan

Mortgage Guarantee

Help to Buy ISA

The principle Housing Associations schemes with shared ownership properties currently in East Northamptonshire are:

Housing Association

Location of Shared Ownership Schemes


Hello Homes


0300 123 0918​

Greatwell Homes



01933 234450

Orbit Homes




0845 600 4052

Longhurst Group


Higham Ferrers



0345 601 9095

There is more detailed information about how to apply and a list of Frequently Asked Questions on the Help to Buy Agents website.