Coronavirus advice

Stay at home for 7 days if you have either: a high temperature and/or a new continuous cough. Do not go to a GP surgery, pharmacy or hospital. You do not need to contact 111.

For more information about when to call 111 and advice about staying at home...

Shared Ownership and Help to Buy

Help to Buy is a range of home ownership products developed to assist people who can not afford to buy a property on the open market.

Local Help to Buy Agents are appointed by the government to promote all of the schemes. Help to Buy Midlands is the appointed agency for West and East Midlands which includes the District of East Northamptonshire. Visit the website to find out what properties might be available through Help to Buy and to establish if you are eligible to apply to buy a home. Alternatively email or telephone Orbit Help to Buy.


Tel: 03458 50 20 50

There are two main types of Help to Buy options.

Help to Buy Shared Ownership

If you can’t afford to buy a home on the open market, Help to Buy Shared Ownership gives you the chance to get your foot on the property ladder by buying a home in stages, on a part buy / part rent basis.

How does it work?

You buy a share of between 25% and 75% in a brand new home and then pay a subsidised rent, usually to a Housing Association, for the remaining share. The bigger the share you buy, the less rent you have to pay.

The share you buy is worked out by the registered provider – usually a Housing Association – according to what you can afford.

Am I eligible?

You may be eligible for Help to Buy Shared Ownership if:

  • You can’t afford to buy a home on the open market
  • You have a household income of less than £80,000 per year
  • You are a first time buyer i.e. you don’t already own a home*
  • You are at least 18 years old
  • You have a good credit rating
  • You have at least savings of £1,500 savings to cover the one off  costs involved in buying your home. This does not include any mortgage deposit which is usually at least 5% of the share you are buying.
  • For some developments you will need to show a local connection to an area.

*Most people are first time buyers but if you are already a homeowner and have a housing need such as relationship breakdown or overcrowding you may be eligible.

How do I apply?

You will need to complete an online application form at The Help to Buy Agent will assess if you are eligible within 4 working days. Then your search for a new home can begin.

The principle Housing Associations schemes with shared ownership properties currently in East Northamptonshire are:

Housing Association

Location of Shared Ownership Schemes


Orbit Homes




0845 600 4052

Longhurst Group


Higham Ferrers



0345 601 9095

Cross Keys Homes


Higham Ferrers

01733 396406

There is more detailed information about how to apply and a list of Frequently Asked Questions on the Help to Buy Agents website.

Help to Buy Equity Loan Scheme

The Help to Buy equity loan scheme is available to both first time buyers and anyone who needs help moving up the housing ladder. The Help to Buy scheme may be for you if you are wanting to buy your first home but do not have sufficient funds for the deposit. Alternatively if you are looking to move to your next home but need financial assistance to help you make that move.

How does it work?

You buy 100% of a brand new home from a registered developer but it’s more affordable because you only need to raise 80% of the purchase price yourself initially (usually with a mortgage). The remaining 20% is covered by an equity loan from the government. The loan is interest free for 5 years. From year six you start to pay a monthly fee. You must pay back the equity loan within 25 years or if you move, which ever is sooner.

There is more detailed information about the Help to Buy Equity Loan scheme including a list of Frequently Asked Questions on the Help to Buy Agents website.