Go to the new North Northamptonshire Council website

Moving house - a check list

Things to remember to do when moving home

Council Tax

You need to tell us immediately if there is a change in your circumstances, or if you are moving into or out of East Northamptonshire.

Housing Benefit

If you are currently claiming Housing Benefits please get in touch with the benefits office benquiries@east-northamptonshire.gov.uk  immediately so that overpayments are not made.

Pensions and Benefits

Inform your local Job Centre Plus of your new address.

Have you registered your details on the Electoral Register?

The register is updated every month and you need to be included on it to vote. A form is available on the elections pages of our website.

Utility providers (gas, water, electricity etc)

You need to tell your utility providers at least 48 hours in advance that you are moving.

Have you redirected your post to your new address?

You can download the form from the post office website.  It can take up to 10 days to set up and there is a charge.


Cybersecurity is often overlooked during a house move. Identity thieves can take advantage of the chaos and intercept post that hasn’t been redirected. For more information on how to protect yourself please see the compariech website

TV licence

Use the TV Licensing website to access a range of information about TV licensing in the UK, including moving house, payment methods and details of TV licence regulations.

Registering with a doctor

Find your nearest NHS GP in the area by entering your post code onto the NHS website.

Registering with a dentist

Find your nearest NHS dentist in the area by entering your postcode onto the NHS website.

Childcare, schooling and family services

Information about primary and secondary schools, childcare, nurseries, family services and out of school care near you. Find Ofsted reports, information on school performance and contact details can all be found at GOV.UK website.

Bulky waste collection service

Bulky household items, of no use, such as fridges, cookers, beds etc can be collected for a fee.  See our bulky items collection page for details.

Items can also be disposed of at the local household waste sites.  East Northamptonshire has two recycling centres in the district, Newton Road, Rushden and Herne Park, East Road, Oundle.

Northamptonshire County Council has information about household waste recycling centres.

Unwanted household items

Charities may be grateful for any good clean furniture or household items.  There are also websites where you can re-cycle your unwanted items.

Driving license and vehicle registration documentation.

You must inform the DVLA (Driver and Vehicle Licensing Agency) immediately of any changes to your name, address or both.

Finally don't forget to inform family and friends of your new address.