East Northamptonshire Council

House to house collections

Licence summary

To carry out house-to-house collections for charitable purposes in England and Wales you need a licence from us.

Eligibility Criteria

Applications must be made by completing an application form and giving at least one months notice before the date of the collection. There is no application fee.

You must be considered a fit and proper person.

East Northamptonshire Council has a House to House Policy document for their use only.

Regulation Summary

A summary of the eligibility criteria for this licence

Application Evaluation Process

No provision in the legislation.

Whereas street collection permits are normally issued to cover a period of one or two days, a house to house collection permit can be granted for a longer period. With regard to vetting and checking to ascertain whether the organisation applying is genuine or not, the same procedures apply as for street collections.

As with street collection permits there is a requirement for the promoter to make a return following the collection.

Collections generally take place from door to door or from one public house to another.

Will Tacit Consent apply if I do not hear anything after 28 days?

Yes as long as we are not waiting for you to send us further information. This means that you will be able to act as though your application is granted if you have not heard from us within 28 days of a full application being submitted.


Apply online

Apply to run a charitable collection

Notify us of the result of a charitable collection

Apply by post

House to House Licence

Extract from House to House Collections Regulations 1947

House to House financial return form - 5th schedule (collecting cash)

House to House financial return form - 6th schedule (collecting & selling goods)

House to House financial form - 7th schedule (goods given away

Failed Application Redress

Please contact us in the first instance.

You have the right to appeal to the Minister for the Cabinet Office.

Appeals must be lodged within 14 days of the refusal.

Licence Holder Redress

Please contact us in the first instance.

You have the right to appeal to the Minister for the Cabinet Office.

Appeals must be lodged within 14 days of the decision.


Consumer Complaint

 If you are not satisfied with the service you should complain to the person who first dealt with the matter. If you are not satisfied with the response you receive at this stage you should then complain to the Head of Environmental Services giving details of your complaint.

You can take the complaint a step further by writing to the Executive Director who will arrange for it to be investigated. You should receive a reply within 10 days, but if the matter is complex, or other organisations need to be contacted, it may take longer. But we will still let you know what action is being taken. You should give all the details of your complaint and say what you have done to try to get it put right.

If you are still not happy after using our own complaints procedure you can complain to the Local government Ombudsman. A free booklet is available from all council offices.


Trade Associations


EUGO logo

Get help at

Northamptonshire Licensing Partnership

Central Administration Unit
Cedar Drive,
Thrapston, Northants, NN14 4LZ
Telephone: 01832 742102
Email: licensingunit@northantslicensing.gov.uk
Website: www.northantslicensing.gov.uk



Telephone: 01832 742000

Find key contacts.